Sunday, March 6, 2011

Baby Girl Butterfly Cake






I am such a sucker for pink and brown. I don't know what it is about this color combination that makes me so happy. So I was happy to design this cake. It was for a baby shower for a sweet couple having their first baby. The cake was black and white (alternating layers of chocolate chocolate chip cake and vanilla cake) with a cookies & cream custard filling. I covered the cake in buttercream, then white fondant. Then added fondant stripes to the top layer and a large fondant band to the bottom which I imprinted with my custom damask stamp. Once the imprinted piece of fondant was attached to the cake, I hand-piped the brown damask pattern on top with chocolate icing. Then I added chocolate piping around the bottom of the tiers and added 3D fondant butterflies. For the top of the cake, I molded a baby sleeping on a pink blanket all out of fondant, complete with a pink bow in her curl of hair and a pink diaper. I even made her little wrinkly feet. This was a new kind of topper for me, and I thought she turned out of adorable. (Of course, I haven't met a baby I haven't found adorable.) And if tomorrow turns out to be the baby's birthday (as mom has predicted) then let me be the first to welcome baby Chloe! Best wishes to the new family. ;)

No comments: